JOB DESCRIPTION of PENDLETON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
TITLE: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: The Executive Committee with the primary point of contact being the President of the Board of Directors
NATURE AND EXTENT OF ASSIGNMENT:
Job Description: The Executive Director is the paid Chief Executive and Administrative Officer of the organization, responsible for the full range of Chamber activities in accordance with the policies, procedures, and Bylaws of the Chamber. This includes, but is not limited to, coordination of the program work, organization structure and procedures, motivation of volunteers, income and expenditures, community outreach, service and promotion, maintenance of memberships, employment, training and supervision of staff, interpretation of policy, vision planning and maintenance of facility.
- Communicates frequently with the President of the Board of Directors, and also directs communications to the entire Executive Committee. Implements Operating and Organizational Policies as directed by the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Participates as a non-voting member of the Board of Directors, Executive Committee and all committees (as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Executive Committee). Serves as corporate secretary to the Board of Directors and prepares notices, agendas and minutes for meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Serves as advisor to the President and Executive Committee on program planning, and prepares reports and publications in support of the programs of the Chamber.
- Is responsible for the administration of events and activities in accordance with the policies and strategies of the Board of Directors.
- Develops and monitors the organizational structure, operating systems, purchasing standards, budget controls and personnel performance standards.
- Hires, discharges and supervises all employees and office volunteers of the Chamber; arranges training and conducts annual appraisals of job performance. Oversees all personnel, the assignment of their duties, supervision of their work, and the terms of their employment.
- Maintains continuity and consistency in Chamber programs and events with a changing Board of Directors and roster of officers.
- Oversees membership programs to ensure a steady growth in income and services. Ensures membership benefits are delivered in a timely and professional manner.
- Prepares a draft of the Annual Operating Budget well in advance of each fiscal year, complete with current and historical data for all revenue and expense line items. Works cooperatively with the Executive Committee to prepare a balanced budget, to be adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Monitors Chamber activities to assure conformance with Chamber Bylaws and policies of the Board of Directors. Assures the organization’s compliance with all applicable laws and regulations governing not-for-profit organizations. Analyzes trends and issues to identify opportunities and/or challenges for local businesses and recommends related action to the Executive Committee and/or respective committee(s).
- Oversees publication of materials that promote the Chamber and Pendleton in accordance with the Annual Business Plan. Maintains media relations to foster a favorable image for Pendleton and the Chamber. Serves as a point of contact for the media.
- Serves on Commissions, Boards of Directors, etc., relating to Chamber functions and activities with prior approval of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of proprietary information regarding members and non-members.
- Pursues ongoing professional development within the framework of approved budget.
- Understands and accepts that the tasks outlined in this job description may be modified or changed. Is able to perform the essential functions of this job as listed above, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Experience and Skills Required:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, finance, non-profit management, communication/ leadership, related field, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communications and public relations skills coupled with the ability to build relationships and influence others in a positive manner
- Considerable working knowledge of accounting and finance as they relate to the fiscal and financial obligations of the organization, internal accounting controls, and financial analysis of revenues and expenditures
- Proficiency with budget and financial statement preparation. Must have strong knowledge of financial statement content and be comfortable presenting financial data to Chamber leadership
- Excellence in organizational/project management with the ability to set and achieve strategic objectives
- Keen understanding of the dynamics of running a successful membership-based organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to provide leadership and motivate others
- Experience and knowledge using Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent computer skills
- Must pass the organization’s criminal background check
Personal and Social Competence
- High integrity and honesty, promoting trust in all actions
- Creative and change-oriented
- Energetic, and a self-starter
Salary and Benefits
$55,000 to $70,000 per year.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Relocation assistance is not available for this role.
Medical insurance, vision Insurance, retirement, expense account, service club membership, professional development, and mileage reimbursement.
For more detailed information about the Chamber, please refer to www.pendletonchamber.com